Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Talent

Dominic and I were talking about how close Caitlin's birthday was. Dominic had the idea that he play the birthday song while Jon and I sang to Caitlin. Slight kink in his plans - he doesn't know how to play that song and we don't have the music for it.

He seemed to think this was only a slight bump in the plans. Turns out he was right.
In less than a minute he had picked out the melody and was adding the harmony.
His teacher had mentioned that he had brought a guitar book to class and showed her how he could play songs out of it. She was really impressed because the book is a bit above his level so he had to use a certain amount of "playing by ear" to get the song right.
My entire musical talent consists of being able to sing just well enough so that people don't cover their ears. But that is the extent of it. So while I was impressed when I talked to her, I didn't really grasp what he was doing until I heard it this evening.

Dominic can now play the birthday song while Jon and I sing. 
Oh boy! Now I have to sing.

No comments: