Monday, June 4, 2012

Camp Meeting Race

When I was a small child I would run the camp meeting 1 mile fun run. My dad always ran the 5k and once my sister got old enough she'd run with me.
My dad asked me to get the info so he could run this year and I thought it would be a good race for Dominic to start out on since it's promoted to families. I had intended to run the 5k. But when my parents and Jon told me that they weren't coming I was at a loss as to what to do with Dominic. The races are run simultaneously and I wanted to document Dominic's first race.
Turns out I didn't have to worry about it. Last week I was out taking pictures and twisted my ankle and knee. It wasn't bad, but I knew I couldn't run a race without damaging it further.
So I ran the 1 mile with Dominic. My cousin took some pictures, but here are mine.  

One excited little boy.
 Waiting on the 5k people to get started. It was so hard for me to see them leave without me. But I don't regret running with my little man. It was so fun and I wouldn't have missed it for anything.
 To get these shots, I would run quickly ahead and turn around just as quickly. Baby boy wasn't slowing down for anyone.
 I had to keep slowing him down so we could finish with a bang.
 When we were getting close we passed a little guy who was struggling to keep running. His fan club was cheering for him and two ladies were holding his hand, basically pulling him home.
He was Dominic's age and I so badly wanted Dominic to at least get 3rd place. Dominic's age division was 0-7 so I wasn't sure if it was even possible. But I really pushed Dominic to keep going and stay in front of him.
When we arrived I realized that because of the small amount of adults that I was going to place. How do you explain to a five year old that you are going to get a medal and he might not. I was on pins and needles until they called his name. He won 2nd place in his age division.
Talk about one proud mommy. I was more proud of his 2nd place medal than of my 1st place one.
 He wore this all day Friday and most of Sabbath.
Great job, Dominic!

No comments: