Thursday, September 10, 2009

Cooking

Dominic LOVES to help me cook. Now anyone who knows me even a little knows that I don't like to cook. There are days when I even hate it. So Dominic is pushing me out of my comfort zone because he wants to cook every day, sometimes for lunch, supper and "cookies for snack".
I had a recipe for Rice Crispie Treats using corn syrup. It was supposed to be less sugar than using the marshmallows. Unfortunately I lost the recipe and when we went to make it tonight I had to improvise. I pulled up the original recipe online, but it didn't list quantities. It showed a stick and a half of butter, a bag of marshmallows and a box of Rice Crispies. So I put one stick of butter (all I had) and 1 cup of syrup in the microwave. After using the entire box of cereal we still had a very loose, sticky mess. (For those of you interested it is 3 tablespoons of butter =), 1 bag of marshmallows and 6 cups of cereal.) I found a recipe that called for peanut butter and I hoped that would congeal it a little. It was now even greasier. All the time, Dominic is shoving the greasy cereal into his mouth faster than he could chew. I would run back to the computer and would return to find his little cheeks puffed out. I'd mutter, stir in something else and return to the computer. By the time I gave up there was about 4 cups of cereal missing and Dominic looked a little green. =) Tonight when I asked him what he was thankful for he said "Mommy cooking with me." I thank God for kids who push me to do things and then love the effort even when the result isn't the greatest.

Anyone want to come over for some peanut butter cereal?
 

1 comment:

Richard Lawry said...

I will pass on the peanut butter cereal, but maybe Dominic could cook something else.

An Arkies Musings