Tuesday, October 5, 2010

School starts

Yesterday was the first day of school (homeschool) for Dominic. He had been asking for several days and I still haven't found all of his school supplies. So we improvised and he didn't seem to notice that he was missing a few things. I hadn't really been concerned that we hadn't started. The school teacher here gave me a list of requirements that he needed to know before he entered Kindergarten. He only has a few things he needs to work on. But since one of them is paying attention and not talking in class I felt we did need to start eventually.
One of the other reasons is that Dominic is always learning. Take today for example. Dominic had drawn a picture and used red to draw the people. This started a discussion on why people are different colors. Somehow it led to why people are different. The questions only got harder.
"Mom, why is grandpa bald?"
"Why doesn't grandma grow anymore" (my mom is 4'11")
"If grandpa is bald, why isn't gramps bald?"
"What does bald mean?"
"Who made up that word?"

So I had to give a brief lesson in genetics and we learned the origin of the word bald.
For those of you who might be wondering -

1250–1300;  ME ball ( e ) d,  equiv. to ball  white spot (cf. Welsh bal,  Gk phaliĆ³s  having a white spot)

This was not, by any means, the end of the questions. This is a normal Dominic response to everything he encounters. I'm sure you can only imagine what we learned yesterday while playing with play-doh. 
Dominic was sitting with his Sabbath school teacher while listening to a presentation by the youth group. She later told me that he asked her what every difficult word meant and then how to spell it. She said it kept her scrambling the whole time.
Welcome to my world! =)

No comments: