Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The Various Parts of Parenting

I have mentioned before that I LOVE my job. I've had some great bosses over the years, but this job is my favorite. But it is also the hardest job I've ever had. I'm not sure about stress levels, but I do know that I've prayed more since Dominic was born that all of my life previously. 
And I was an "old" mom when he was born. =)

Daily my children make me laugh.
They make me cry.

They make me yell and scream (thankfully it's mostly in my head - although it comes out occasionally).


And every day I'm left wondering if I've played something right. Did I say/do the thing that would make a difference. Am I being the best mom that I can be. No, probably not. I know that I can't beat myself up over this, but it's really stressing me right now.

Dominic (and Caitlin who copies everything he does) is having an issue with obedience. It starts with not listening and then he naturally doesn't obey the instruction he never stopped to hear.
He acts geniunely frustrated when I call him on it. So should I punish him or start over with the instructions? Should I punish him regardless of whether he heard or not?
Tonight I sent him to bed early because he did something that he's been told countless times before to stop doing. He stomped his feet and yelled in frustration. I felt awful. But I stuck to my guns and he went to bed at 7pm. I don't know if it will work and I don't know if I did the right thing. I've been told that the best way to discipline a child is to punish only for the on purpose disobedience and to talk to the child about the mistakes. But is it a mistake when I say don't pull the cat's tail (something kitty HATES) and then he does it again. I haven't told him today, but he's heard it numerous times before. He's not doing it to be mean. For some reason that is the very spot on the poor cat that he loves to pet. But since Tolkie hates for his tail to be touched I feel we need to respect him and his wishes.

When I went in to tuck him in, he wrapped his arms around my neck and told me that he loved me and that he thought my hair was beautiful. He's such a sweet charmer. I love the cuddles and the sweet kisses. He's so gentle with Caitlin when he wants to be. He loves showering the cat and dogs with hugs. So why can't we just have sweetness and obedience. 
Oh right! He's a normal little boy!

So what's the answer to making a inattentive, disobedient, dirty little boy into a sweet, obedient, dirty (because I've given up on the dirt for now) little boy?

Anyone with answers? Or is this just part of parenting?

No comments: