Sunday, May 15, 2011

Burnt offerings

Last Wednesday I had some bananas that were going bad and so I planned to make banana muffins for Coffee Girls. Jon was away on a business trip and so I got the muffins in the oven and joined the kids outside for some play time before bed. Over an hour later I smelled something and dashed into the kitchen to check on the muffins. They looked beautiful - if they were supposed to be chocolate muffins. 
 I was so disappointed. I didn't have any more bananas, over ripe or otherwise.
So I got into the frig to get out the applesauce (it works in a pinch) and remembered that a couple of times I had overripe bananas and no time. I'd put them into the freezer. Perhaps they were still there. I was in luck and the second batch turned out much, much better.
On Thursdays I always feed the kids before we get to Coffee Girls, because they can't wait that long to eat breakfast. That way they can play while we eat and then come and snack on the food when they get hungry closer to lunch time.
That morning I opened one of the burned muffins to see what the inside looked like. It was edible and pretty good as long as you didn't get too close to the outside.
The kids saw me eating the centers and wanted some as well.
 Am I scarring my children by teaching them to dig food out of the charred remains of my cooking? 
Guess we'll find out.

No comments: