Sunday, January 10, 2010

Berlin - Day 6

Day 6 - Snowy Berlin

It has snowed constantly since I arrived in Berlin. Never
that hard but always something coming down. The odd part
is that I don't know where it is all going. There doesn't
seem to be any more on the ground now than when I got here.
Maybe they come vacuum it up while we all sleep, I don't know.

Last night gave me a new appreciation for the bus drivers
here. I have always been impressed with the skill they
exhibit in maneuvering the narrow lanes and threading the
double-deckers and bendy-busses through tight
spots - sometimes with only a couple of inches to spare.
Last night I decided to go down to Potsdammer-Platz
where all the new state-of-the-art buildings are being
built because there is always something new and
interesting going on there. It was worth the trip as
they have put in a new LegoLand store and have some very
large lego sculptures that were really great. After
wandering around the Arcaden (mall) and eating a little
something for supper I decided to take the bus part way
back to the hotel and then the underground the rest of
the way. The bus ride was really quite interesting.
It was a double-decker and the driver was obviously
having trouble getting the rear wheels to hook up
because the roads were't cleared of snow. After each
stop you could feel the rear wheels spinning as the bus
slowly left the stop and gently fishtailed into traffic.
He wasn't shy about going his normal speed between stops
either and was somehow able to gently slide it into each
stop with narry a scratch on it. Incredible driving.

So today I plan to go down to a place called Meilenwerk.
This is a museum of sorts for old cars. It is really
a place where guys with lots of money can store and work
on their old cars and also has some rather unique
auto dealerships including Ferrari. The inventory is
always changing so it is different every time I come.

No comments: