Friday, January 15, 2010

Our trip home

We left Uncle Bob and Aunt Holly's house about 9am. The traffic wasn't too bad and we made good time until we got out of Atlanta and Dominic decided he had to pee. There weren't any exits for several miles and then the one I chose was exit only. So after Dominic peed in front of tons of cars going by I headed down a back road (thank goodness for gps) to get to the next exit to get back on the interstate. I came to a stand still in traffic and noticed a moving truck that was trying to back into a drive way. We sat there for about 10 minutes while they ran into an electric pole and almost brought the lines down. They touched the top of the truck. The only reason I was able to start moving after 10 minutes was because a police car came by with their lights on and while the truck got out of the way we all rushed past. This put me a bit behind and it didn't get any better the rest of the way home.
The logistics of trying to go to the bathroom with two kids is mind boggling. I don't want to put Caitlin on the floor while I go, but she can't stand so I have to hold her the whole time. Interesting! Then Dominic wants to touch everything. Yuck!
By supper time the kids were so ready to be out of the car. They had been really good and amazingly both of them took lengthy naps. But I decided that even though we were only a few hours from home we'd stop a while for supper. It was going to put us getting home about 9pm-way past bedtime. But I felt it was worth it.
We stopped at a place that had several restaurants in one place. While we ate Dominic noticed the Dairy Queen next to us and asked if he could have an ice cream cone. I told him no and he very graciously said ok. But the more I thought about the more I wanted one. =)
So I told him that since he'd been so good on the way home that if he was willing we'd share a blizzard.
It was so cute watching him try to savor each bite and yet hurry so he could get as much as possible before I ate it all. Caitlin didn't seem to care for it and told me no after two bites and asked for the chips. So she ate chips while Dominic and I ate ice cream.
When I finished there was one bite left and I let Dominic have it. He carefully and slowly ate that bite, licked the spoon and then licked the cup. When he couldn't get his tongue any further into the cup he put his hand in there and then licked his hand. That cup was super clean when he finished. Poor sugar deprived child. =)
Dominic had eaten 2 sandwiches, a bag of chips, a glass of juice and 1/2 a blizzard for supper. When we got in the car I gave Caitlin her milk that she gets before bed and Dominic his water bottle. He emptied it so I gave him a juice box because he said he was still thirsty. A few minutes later he started complaining of a stomach ache. When I started questioning him it turned out he'd also finished off Caitlin's milk when she went to sleep. Silly boy! No wonder he had a stomach ache.
We got home at 9pm like I'd predicted. For some reason (the sugar?) it took Dominic a while to go to sleep. But we are now home, unpacked and all ready for Jon to join us.

No comments: